Friday, April 13, 2012

Steven Brady Wilson

Today I went to the funeral of my cousin Steven.  He died at the age of 31.  I can't remember the last time I saw him?  I only remember him when he was very young playing the piano at Grandpa's house.

Steven was a child prodigy.  He was born with remarkable music skills.  He must have been around 8 when I heard him play.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing!  His fingers were running up and down the keyboard like he was a concert pianist.

The Wilson family was very close when Grandpa and Grandma were alive.  We spent a lot of time together hanging out at the cabin, The Homestead, or Grandma and Grandpa's house.  That's where the cousin relationships were built - could we ever mess up a basement!  Grandpa let us ride his mini bike around the backyard.  He had a cash register in the basement, where many "play" transactions were made.  There were also forts made under the pool table and ping pong gun fights galore!

Because I was so grown up (cough, cough) I didn't hang out with my Uncle Harvey's kids.  I was a teenager with an attitude.  I'm sure I made fun of the little buggers!

I wish I could turn back the clock and sit and listen to Steven play the piano again.  I would pay much more attention to my younger cousins.  They probably thought I was mean.  Maybe they didn't care I didn't give attention their way?  I hope so.

So because my heart is filled with love for my cousins, aunts and uncles today, I pledge to pay more attention to my extended family.  Love you guys!

Rest in peace, Steven
Karen

No comments: