Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Perfect Day For A Foodie Like Me!

Grandma Wilks

Today was a perfect day. It started with coffee and The Food Network. The Barefoot Contessa was making chocolate gelato and I can't wait to make it for Jessa!

The weather was a bit cooler and I was lucky enough to wear a long sleeve shirts. Everyone knows how much I hate short sleeve shirts! You'd think Dr. Doorknock should be able to do something about my Relief Society arms?

Later, Harold and I did our shopping at Whole Foods. I love organic meat! Then to finish the day with a bang, Harold took me to go see "Julie and Julia." For a "foodie" like me, it was as good as a Sunday morning with Ina Garten!

Julie and Julia was fabulous! It captured so many of my feelings about cooking. We came home and I made a fabulous romantic dinner, which we enjoyed outside with a nice bottle of merlot. Ahhhhh!

In the beginning there was Mac and Cheese. We'd slather it with butter, Heinz ketchup and a sprinkle of salt, and it would make anyone a happy camper. Mac and cheese is a Kramer staple. Quite frankly, growing up I'd' much rather NOT cook. I'd rather be at the Front Page dancing with my big, plastered hair. I didn't think about food. I had no desire to cook...I'd rather do the dishes! You'd think, with my burrito heritage, I'd have instincts!

My interest in food, began with the "Nancys" Nancy Wilks and Nancy Milne made cooking look so easy. I knew every holiday was so going to be special, because they were hosting. The china, silverware and crystal always were on the table. The Nancy's wouldn't EVER buy a pie from a store. They would start slaving weeks before the holiday. I had no idea food could taste so good! Not only did we have the perfect dinner, Mr and Mrs Santa Clause always showed up to get the kids all excited about Christmas. Ahhh the final touch! The Nancys" could give Martha Stewart a run for their money.

So I started to get excited about food. After many bad dinners, I still didn't understand the joy of cooking. Then I realized, it's not really about the homemade pie. For me, it's about making the experience of cooking more fun. The cool kitchen gadgets, perfect ovens, gas stoves, good quality ingredients make things taste better and I have a riot doing it. I understand how much people appreciate the little things. So...bring on the holiday! Because this year, I'm going to find "frosty mugs!"

No comments: