Thursday, July 3, 2008

St. Petersburg, Russia

Church of Spilled Blood
Entrance to the Winter Palace
(Hermitage Museum)
The Floating Fountain

Hi Everyone,
Last night Harold and I went to the Hermitage Museum. It was the winter palace for the Czars. As I mentioned before, we went after the museum was closed and avoided most of the crowds. It was incredible. We have never been in such a beautiful palace. It is now a museum and we were able to see paintings from Leonardo DaVinci, Rafael, Czennon and a sculpture from Michelangelo. If that wasn't enough, we had champagne and was able to see a Russian ballet in Katherine the Great's private theatre. There was only about 100 people in the audience and we were right up front. We have done some amazing things but this has got to be on the top of the list. The orchestra and dancers were outstanding. We had no idea how cool St. Petersburg would be. The ballet alone was worth the trip.

Today we spent the entire day touring the city. In one palace one room was entirely decorated in amber stone. It's the 8th wonder of the world. We saw Peter and Paul's fortress and cathedral, The Church of Spilled Blood, St. Isaac's Cathedral and the Floating Fountain, which reminded us of the Baligio fountain in Vegas.

Unfortunately, shopping is limited to street vendors and museums. It took us all day just to find a post card! At lunch, we danced with a Russian band and drank vodka! When in Russia...!

Help...it's day 7 and I'm running out of clothes, but my nails look great (Thanks, Hannie!)

We are off to Helsinki, Finland!!
Harold & Karen

2 comments:

hannie bailey said...

It sounds so wonderful! I have never had a huge urge to visit Russia, but I think that it changing now! I want to go do those things, and I think cruising there would be perfect... just like you guys! someday... Happy 4th!

Julie said...

Ugh....I am so jealous! That sounds wonderful! I'm right there with you Hannie....someday, for right now I'll just dream. At least I have more time to dream:0 Love you guys!